View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #12
68Gold/white

Re: V8 307 Cam Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Take note......Small blocks in heavy vehicles with lumpy cams tend to be sluggish off the line so hopefully this is not something meant to add performance where most truck guys most use it....down low.
I had one guy recommend to simply set up a spark plug wire or two to ground out with the flick of a switch.
That way, when entering a parking lot show'n shine situation you can flip the switch...get the 'lumpy' rough sound effect, but keep your money and your existing low end performance.

...just thinking out loud here.
X2!!!
The 204/214 cam would be the MAX for a 307, and it's a bit much. It would help if comp ratio was some what higher with that cam.

Smaller engines are very sensitive to cam specs, larger engines not nearly as much. The 307 will perform best with a cam similar to what they came with. THe Sealed Power CS174 (I think, memory fade) is the stock replacement cam for almost all small blocks, it would be my choice. I ran a 283 for 175,000 miles with this cam, 307 is too close to same cubes. A friend "built a 307 with same cam, it ran great (for a 307).....
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote