Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #1895
shortoldracer

Re: Make it handle

Hi Everyone - newbee here to the website. I come from a circle track background, so this forum is my cup of tea. I raced for the last 20 years with my mini stock and it was old technology. So I'm not up to date on a lot of the new technology. I'm just starting a build on a 1953 Chevy Sidestep PU. It's an old build that was started 12 years ago (by someone else) and was never finished, or been on the road. My original plan was to just update the existing chassis, but for some DUMB reason they coated the entire chassis with LINEX bed covering! I now plan on updating most of the running gear and have been checking out complete chassis manufacturers. All have brake options and rotor sizes, but don't give any details on the specifics of each kit included. When you checkout Willwood's site it's looking for a specific vehicle, but since this is a hot rod, the only generic category would be GM. Several chassis mfg's use Willwood spindles, but that's as much information they show. I would like to do coilover's with double adjustable shocks.

My questions are:
Radial or lug mounted - which way to go (advantage/disadvantage) and which is better for unsprung weight? The old stuff on my truck weighs a ton! My guess it was done 2005? Looks like early Mustang II?
4 or 6 piston caliper? I expect the truck weight to be about 3500#.
Currently has American Racer 17" 505 rims and Toyo Proxes T1R 255/45 ZR17 Tires (Very Heavy)
I may do some light autocross just for fun, but I want it to handle, ride nice, and be safe!

Sorry for the mini book, but I thought I'd provide the background! Any thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated.
shortoldracer is offline   Reply With Quote