View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #396
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Shucks First Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Tru Track is just another more modern version of the posi (Limited Slip) style carrier. Do some google research on it. There are a few options out there. A full rebuild with bearings, new carrier (Limited Slip type) and new gears could run over $600 in parts easy and if you have a shop do the work, I have been quoted at $1000 for gears, carrier, new bearings and seals (including axle bearings). Its not hard work, but without the right tools it can be a costly learning experience if you get the set up wrong...
Karl is spot on. Everyone says build it, they are cheap. Survey says BS. Unless you really want to learn to do it yourself, setting up a GM ring and pinion is no picnic. It requires specific tools that are not commonly available, and it can be a lesson in frustration.

I have found the most economical option is to find a replacement axle. They can be bought very reasonable and are not hard to find. Locating one with 3.73 gears is a bit harder than the more common 3.08 or 3.42 but they are out there.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote