View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Re: How to identify solid paints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnar View Post
"Is there a reference that will tell me which colors are solid and which ones are metallic?"

"Is there a reference that will tell me which colors are solid and which ones are metallic?"

Well I thought this was a simple question but apparently not. I'm not asking anybody to pick a color for me. As I said, I'll spray some test panels when I narrow it down to a couple colors. I just don't want to buy a pint of every color that was used from 67 to 72 and I don't want to waste time and money on metallic colors because I know I'm not going to paint my truck a metallic color. I guess I'll just go back to guessing.
I'm sorry, having bought paint for 40+ years I don't even think about this a second and didn't grasp exactly what you needed to hear.

1. Get the color code. How do you pick a color without that? You can't see a car on the net that you like the color and then just go to the paint store and tell them you want the color without a paint code, THAT is number one. Forget names of colors, they mean close to nothing, the names change, the same color will have four different names depending on what brand car like Chevy and Cadillac both GM or Scion and Lexus, both Toyota, but they will have different names. Sometimes the names say if it is metallic or not but not all the time, GET THE CODE.

2. Take the code and google it. Just got this off a car in the lot, 1E3, on a Toyota Corolla. Check this out, one name says it's a metallic, the other doesn't. http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...Toyota&rows=50

But with that code you can go to the paint store and find out if it's metallic or not. Or if it's a 3 stage like a candy or Pearl which you DO NOT want unless you have some good experience shooting paint.

But there you go, that is all you need to know.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote