View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
Steven R

what to pick????? need help (long read)

I am at the point of needed to decide which brand of supplies to buy. I stopped at the autobody store near me and ask this same question. I was told there are a lot of brands and types to choose from and that he has learned not to give out his option on which to buy and have it come bit him in the but. I can understand this to a point.

SO here is my goal.

I want a nice looking truck. Daily driver for summer, NOT a show truck. It been a truck all its life and plan to use it as such. I do not see the need to buy 5000.00 per gallon of paint. But I am willing to get good stuff.

I want to use GOOD quality stuff. no knock OFF or second line stuff.

If we go with the thought process that I will sand to bare metal and start there. Panels have had rust removed and were primed with epoxy primer to seal metal while metal replacement parts were welding in, I plan to sand to bare metal

Step one????
What product goes frist, which to use? brand and type of primer to use direct to metal ??

Step two???
I then plan to prime with a few high build coats of primer, Are these TWO different primers?? I plan to sand and find lows, fill with bondo, and reprime

Step three???
I need a body filler, was thinking 3M but not sure what to ask for, as to the type of bondo? As I sand and fid the lows and fill I would assume that this bondo would have to direct to metal in place and over primer in other places.
do you use the same primer after bondo? ie primer over the bondo?

Step four???
I would like to paint in factory color, the med bronze but with small metallic, and white top and bottom.

I want a primer which will work well with the tops coats. Ie same brand of primer and top coats, I am assuming this would be important?

Step Five???
I and thinking i will need to clear over all of this fine work with a few coats of clear which to ask for?

I am planning to do a test fender with all these products and see what the final will look like, so I need to know which brand and type if product to ask for so I can do this test.

I would love to find mentor to help me it this process of what to pick out, The guy who will be doing the painting has said he mostly works with 3M bondo and PPG paints.

Sorry for the long post just trying to get all the info out there and get an informed answer. I realize I am asking alot of questions?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote