View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #26
72HuggerK20

Re: Paint gun for my compressor size

Now I'm not sure what MARTINSR will have to say about this, but I honestly believe that bc/cc is easier to shoot than single stage.

My reasoning for this is that you have a chance to fix mistakes before it's too late. Say if you are to get a run or a few dirt nibs in basecoat, you have some time to fix them before you clear the panel. Plus, if you do have to fix something in basecoat, you just need to blend a little more base over the repair spot and you'll never be able to tell it happened...unless you're messing with really heavy metallics or pearls.

In clearcoat, you have the chance to fix dirt nibs and runs without re-painting the entire panel.

Even professionals make mistakes. It's how good you are at fixing the mistakes you do make and minimizing them as well as you can that makes you a better painter.

Base/clear is a little more expensive up front, but because you're using two separate materials for color and gloss, you'll find it's much easier to use. You only have to worry about coverage when shooting basecoat. It doesn't need to be laid down super flat or anything. Clearcoat, you don't need to worry about even color distribution or metallic flop or anything like that. You only have to worry about laying down a nice even coat with minimal orange peel.

Clearcoat is also much easier to sand and buff because you will run less of a risk of cutting through. If you have a metallic color, you can't buff it in single stage since you'll be cutting into the tops of the metallic pieces. In bc/cc, they're protected by clear.

Not trying to steer you away from single stage, because I don't care what you choose. It's your project. I'm just giving a little information from my experiences in the past. I personally wouldn't do anything but bc/cc on a vehicle ever in the future. It's just that much easier.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote