View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 01:34 AM   #12
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Wiring for a 1969 C10 Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
No problem. As in the illustration that harpo posted the main power wires connect together by the core support on the drivers side. They are actually all soldered together and taped up with electrical tape. I will try to find a picture and post it later.

LockDoc
What they have done is given him the harness for the later year 75 and later trucks. GM used the starter solenoid for the main junction and ran the alternator output wire, the battery charge wire, to the large stud, along with the power wire to the inside fuse box.

They also use fusible links in each of those wires for protection from shorts. He will find out that his battery gauge will not work if he has the gauge dash because he has bypassed the Shunt for the gauge by connecting the battery and the alternator wires together at the same point.

You are correct in that he should only have the battery cable and the purple wire connected on the solenoid, and the other wires should be routed to a main junction like the one you described. I posted a picture of mine below before I removed it and installed a terminal block in it's place.

Name:  junction.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  40.5 KB

This is my junction block with the main wires but it is not complete at this point.

Name:  My truck engine 005.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  71.9 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 11-21-2017 at 01:41 AM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote