View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
BuiltwithIvy

Re: Project "Booger"

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanthunder View Post

Also made some calls to rebuild the old th350 and I dunno if its just me but the prices these rebuilders get in Tucson is INSANE. A grand to rebuild a tranny seems a bit stiff to me. I've decided since i went over my budget on the motor rebuild a bit Im going to rebuild the trans myself. I ordered Ron Sessions book that was mentioned several times here and on other forums hopefully that will give me a better understanding of what Im up against. I've rebuilt almost everything but a transmission so it will definitely be a learning experience.
when rebuilding the trans, the most important part is to stay EXTREMELY organized, find or build a nice big bench, and as you take things out, keep them in order, and label stuff as top or bottom, check to see if you need any special tools FIRST, and then start on it, if everything is organized should only take half a day or so, I think the first time i rebuilt a trans took about 6 hours, and I did that without reading a book, just look whats there, match the new pieces in same order, and replace
"To speak of the art of one loom, the art of one river, the art of one tractor, or the art of one automobile is not preposterous; it is to point to the size and importance of the gap between general knowledge and situated knowledge" - James C. Scott
1969 C10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492064
1930 Tudor Sedan
BuiltwithIvy is offline   Reply With Quote