View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Re: SAS Suburban Pipe Dream

One big difference in what I want and what you had, is yours was a pretty and perfect street driven truck. This Suburban will be a general purpose do what ever I need go wherever I need to go utility-recreational use vehicle. It's something I already have that has a very clean body with no trace of rust. It's just another ho-hum older hand me down SUV...doesn't grab you as anything special. I like it for all the many uses and that it is a base model, basically a work truck rather than bells & whistles former status symbol. Cool factor is exactly what I want, along with pleasing myself with building something that isn't so special to others but just the way I want and those who know what they are looking at will really appreciate it. Might take a second look...then a closer longer look. I want custom that doeesn't look custom. Not shiny, not fancy, just a truck guy's truck he built to please himself.

I can build this just the way I would like to build an older GM 4wd that seems to be out of my price range. It will be my cool use for work and general chores truck instead of my '72, and I will get a smaller truck for good gas mileage since I no longer need a heaver truck every day. The Suburban isn't worth much money at all to sell towards the K2500 or K3500 SRW pickup (or preferable utility body) that will cost me far more than doing this work on the 'Burb.

Lastly, it doesn't matter how the cost of an IFS lift compares to a SAS swap because an IFS lift isn't what I want, not a consideration. Also, the IFS lift is one big single purchase where I can buy things for the swap individually until I have it all. And finally, it will be way cooler than an IFS lift if anyone notices... just the way I like it.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-10-2018 at 08:37 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote