View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Blessed66

Re: 1984 GMC (kinda) slow build, Part 1.

Texas has finally started to get cold. It only took until the end of December/beginning of January, but it finally feels like winter. We were having nice 60-70 degree days and 40s at night. Lately, it's been almost impossible for the temperature to get over 50 degrees, and it's usually when I'm at work and can't do anything. Figures. At least I'm in no rush.

I did get a wild hair and decide to lay some primer on the truck's hood. I don't like rattle can primer, but Duplicolor has a Primer/Filler that was, actually, not bad. Decent coverage, real smooth stuff. If you're in a pinch, I have no complaints. Been debating getting the truck painted, anyways, after everything was buttoned down and any bugs worked out of the TBI retrofit.

Speaking of, the wiring harness and computer arrived yesterday from a member here who happened to have one laying around (thanks, again). I've been doing some reading (in the link from the first post) on the wiring harness. I've got a nice little bit of paper devoted to what I'll have to do, in terms of retaining some of the wiring harness that's on the truck and splicing this 87 harness in.

A few things have come up that I'd love to get some feedback on.

1. I'm going to need a distributor for the TBI HEI ignition, which will not be an issue, but I'm debating my fuel delivery options. From the best of my understanding, my 1984 has a mechanical pump, a transfer pump, and no other pumps. Nothing in the tanks except sending units and pick-up tubes. I could likely find a decent enough pump to run inline, but I can pick up a sending unit/pump/hangar assembly for an 87 (brand new) for a little over $100.

There shouldn't be any issue swapping the 84 for the 87, I would think, but if anyone knows for sure, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you let me know one way or another.

2. Jags That Run (JTR) sells a nice VSS that I will be getting my hands on, but I seem to remember there are many instances where people do not use the VSS and seem to run into no issue. Does this have more to do with the transmission (TH700-R4/4L60/4L60e) than the actual TBI engine?

3. Considering this is being done in a carport/driveway, I don't plan on doing a whole lot to the engine in the truck. Until it blows up. While the front clip was off, I did want to go ahead and remove some of the excess stuff on the firewall while I'm in the middle of doing the retrofit. I guess what I'm looking for is what items won't leave gaping holes if I take them off. If you have a decent before/after picture of the stock firewall vs shaved/cleaned up firewall prior to any hole filling, I'd be very appreciate to see if for reference purposes.

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to the sweet fuel injected cold start.
Blessed66 is offline   Reply With Quote