View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: fuel gauge update

The fact that you pulled the tan wire from the fuse panel and the gauge went to past full (between 3 and 5 o clock) tells me that the gauge is capable of working as it should.

What exactly is the problem you are having? If the gauge will not move past 1/4 tank no matter how much gas is in the tank, the likely cause is the fuel gauge resistor is bad. It will be the small ceramic piece on the back of the fuel gauge and is color coded. It will probably be orange, red or blue. If you remove the resistor and do an ohm test on it, it should be around 100 ohms. If it is not close to that number, the resistor is bad.

Have you done an ohm test on your sending unit? You have a 0-90 range. 0 is empty tank, 90 is full. half is 45 ohm and 1/4 will be around 22 and so on. Do you know how much gas is in the tank currently? If the float is bad, the reading will always be 0 ohm because the float will hold the sending unit arm at empty.

If you do not have an ohm meter, I would suggest getting one or borrowing one. You will just be chasing your tail without it.
EDIT, sorry, I read above that you do have an ohm meter.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote