View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #20
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 4.8 ls ticking noise help

This probably isn't helpful, but its worth knowing on LSx engines; there is a lot of discussion about ticking, lots of ticking. The problem being that most of the folks are not all describing the same problem.

The "sewing machine" tic is the scary one. It loud, it doesn't go away with rpm, and sometimes it will get worse. This is the one you'll most often heard when there is a pushrod length issue, lack of oil, failing lifter. It looks like you had an oiling issue, which it sounds like you solved

But since we're talking ticking, lets mention the others.
Ticking that sounds wispy or breathy; this is one that most folks equate to an exhaust leak, and it usually is. Its also worth mentioning that if you switch from a cast manifold to a tubular header, you are losing material thickness and noise dampening. Pipes resonate. Some folks will switch to a tube header and swear they have an ongoing exhaust leak, when in fact the ticking noise they hear is the valve events being more audible.

Injector noise. This is one that usually throws people who are new to LS motors. The damn injectors are noisy...always. If you've tested injectors off the car, that clack they make during cycle ain't quite. This one won't change with RPM, and you tend to stop noticing it as part of the engine sound.

Valve Events. This one is worst on big cam cars, but can even be noticed on stock genIII-IV motors. The design of the valvetrain means reaaaaly high speed and force upon valve closing events. This is exacerbated by big cams on older cam cores (like my Tsunami for example). The cam events are violent, and that makes noise. FWIW, the genIII-IV motors make around 90db at idle in a test cell. GenV stuff and on, has significantly lowered the force on closing valve events to reduce wear on valvetrain components and reduce noise, for about 68db in the same conditions.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote