Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #105
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Any Dash Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyC10Stepside350 View Post
Wonderfull, i really like your dash.
Where did you get the steering wheel?
It's a 1960's vintage Covico wheel. I found mine on Ebay a number of years ago. Ebay or swap meets are the most reliable sources to find one today. They were originally produced as boat wheels, and the earliest models lacked a hole for the horn connection. By the early 1960's they were offered in multiple solid, metalflake, and pearl colors, in several sizes. A great many high school cars and drag racers in the early 60’s sported a Covico wheel. The big advantage of the Covico wheel in early cars was the shallow dish (about 2 3/8"). By the late 60's the Superior and Grant wheels took over in popularity since their much deeper dish (4” or 4/12”) was more compatible with late model cars.

Covico wheels are easily identifed by the spokes which are equally spaced around the rim. The only exception I'm aware of is the "Milner" model which also has odd hole pattern in the spokes, moving the small outboard hole to the center of the spoke. They aren’t particularly attractive, but command big prices from anyone building an American Graffiti 32 Ford clone. Covico wheels also have no markings in the hub area, so it can be hard to search for these wheels since many sellers don't recognize what brand they are.

The spokes on Grant and Superior wheels are not evenly spaced, providing more dash gauge viewing space at the top. This design also allows the driver to know when the wheels are pointed straight ahead by simply looking at the steering wheel. Both brands have manufacturing information stamped into the center hub area which is covered by the horn kit once installed in the vehicle.

The Covico vinyl rim was unbelievably excellent and can hold up looking like new for decades. The same cannot be said for the standard production chrome which deteriorated quickly, making it difficult to find a mint condition Covico wheel today. Here’s an early magazine article showing a typical installation, along with an advertisement showing what options were available.

Covico is still in business today producing boat wheels. The new wheels are stainless steel which is great for durability, but sadly they no longer offer the multi colored vinyl rim. The new wheels come only in black and white with a foam grip:

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...de=covico3bolt
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote