View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #71
Kronald_70GMC

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
Did you show how you did the shrinking? I need to do that to one of my panels. How did you go about doing that? Shrinking disc? I'm thinking I need to buy one...

That sounds like a good plan for the supports.

Holy cow! That's a bit cold for this time of year I'd say. We are also breaking records for the coldest temp. I need it to warm up so I can get outside and do more sanding!!
I think I breifly mentioned how I did the shrinking. Ill try to give you some more detail. I found a video on youtube that showed how to shrink using a propane torch. Basically what you want to do is heat up the high spot with the torch until it just starts to glow pink in the center. Then take your body hammer and a dolly and flatten down your high spot. Then you need a wet rag on hand so you can rapidlly cool the spot. This will shrink down your panel. Then if you end up with a crater, just contine the procedure again always heating the center of your high spot. Hope this helps. If you search how to shrink sheet metal on youtube, there was quite a few videos if I remember correctly.

I also need it to warm up so I can drag the rest of my truck home.

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is online now   Reply With Quote