View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #170
swamp rat

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

My rust repair is only about half done but follow the link in my sig and read back about 5 or so pages from the last page and get a look at how i did mine. Now that one side is done of i had to replace the whole forward mount i'd probably see about drilling out the spot welds on the inner support rail from the bottom instead of attacking from the top like i did, if you can i'd see about replacing the mounts first before cutting out the rest of the rust, by doing so will help keep the rest of the floor and repair in alignment, once the support is welded into any metal not being replaced and then the holes transferred at the A pillar.. Then cut out the A pillar and fit up the new one and transfer the holes from the cab support to it, but don't weld it in yet until the rest of the panels are all fitted.

Oh, keep in mind that cutting the A pillar where the top of the outer rocker attaches keeps your cuttoff wheel a safe distance away from the door nut plate and cage.

I highly recommend taking measurements of the door opening and mark the location of the measurements for reference, i'm also a firm believer in welding in some support structure to hold the openings in alignment

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote