View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #46
CDR

Re: First hand experience with changing to the NBS master cylinder WOW!

Speedy,

Well, great minds… I went to slotted rotors and green pads a while back. I remember when my rotors were regularly warped at 12k! The slotted rotors were definitely an improvement, as were the SS lines, regular bleeding and keeping the rear drums adjusted.

After a trip out west through the mountains the EBC pads (mind you they had 40k on them) melted down and had sort of disintegrated a bit from the metal pad bases. I showed them to a couple of mechanic buddies and they hadn't seen anything quite like it. I think they were just toasted from the mountain roads. BTW, my rear drums are still original, I feel that's just too much of a load to put on just the front brakes.

At that point I replaced the slotted rotors and green pads with the same, added the new proportioning valve (from the TSB), and was getting on with life. Small improvements overall but still a spongy pedal and some omg moments during hard braking events.

I had talked with a guy years ago about some upgrades-he explained the limitations of the six-bolt options and why big brake kits sometimes disappoint owners. He was a big advocate of the bosch hydroboost- as well as the larger HD brake calipers, a straight bore MC, different proportioning valve, thicker rotors and also going up a size on the rear cylinders. I was then re-deployed and lost momentum on the project.

Later, I talked with a mechanic friend about his hydroboost and although he did have better brakes, the system was prone to some leaks and his pedal was still plenty mushy. He wasn't a big fan of the expense of the project I described and that took some wind out of my sails. Talking with another GM mechanic he thought the straight bore MC idea was definitely worth a try.

...So! That's my story so far. I hope your new rotors and pads treat you well! Hopefully one day we'll get these things all dialed in...
CDR is offline   Reply With Quote