View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #126
fourspeedwagon

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

Very good stuff here. First thing- get over to that shop and retrieve the $100 they offered to refund you. I’d say that’s more than most of us expected they would do. Take it and run.
Next, the tank- if you wanted to move it anyway, now is the time. No need to spend 150 on a new tank you will change shortly anyway. You can pull all those old tanks out (sell the selector valve) and get a blazer tank and run new fuel line. Please do this before mounting your freshly rebuilt Qjet or or will likely suffer the same fate.

If you can’t wait (to save up) and insist on using the old tank- I have been successful with the set that Eastwood sells. One of my cars, reproduction tanks aren’t made for so I pulled mine out and fed in a decent size length of chain and tumbled it around to knock loose the scale. The kit has an “etch” cleaning product to really give a good surface and then a special paint/liner that you pour in and roll the tank to fully coat. I have 24 years use since I did mine and it’s holding up well. Kit costs about $50. Again, this would be 2nd choice but not an awful option.
Also, as stated above- don’t worry about the exact carb stamping numbers. As long as they know what the engine is, they will sell you a proper carb and you’ll be good to go.
“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote