View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
longorange68

Re: Small block 400 build up...anyone running that setup?

MY SBC 400, or 406 if you want to get technical...

.030 over, Eagle crank and rods, Speed Pro pistons, Comp Hydraulic cam, ported Dart Iron Eagle Platinum heads,stainless valves, Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane intake, Quick Fuel 750 vacuum secondary carb. My guess would be somewhere around 400hp and 500tq, keeping it conservative, but I will know for sure when I dyno it at my buddies garage. My cam profile puts the peak torque near 3,000 rpm, plan on running a 5 speed manual.

Find out for sure if you have the four bolt main, or the two bolt mains. Contrary to popular belief, 4 bolt mains ARE NOT the strongest in the 400 block, goes opposite of the 350 due to lack of structural steel when the 4 bolt mains are tapped. Of course you will get the oldtimer who swears that the 400's are no good, and will probably mention the steamholes or water jackets as proof. It's BS. Look at an off the shelf Dart block, no weep holes between the cylinders, brand new they are $2100. Don't you think that they thought of that? I think that Dart would have quit making them awhile back if they kept failing. But then again, that same oldtimer will probably try to sell you the mythical 400 horse 327 also, seems like everyone has on of those if you've ever been to a show...

Sorry for the above rant, must hear that one at least once a week. Good luck to you, 400 is the way to go.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience, well......that comes from bad judgment.

1968 Chevy C-10 "Longshot": Bought used from my Uncle George in 1994 and proceeding to beat the hell out of it for 4 years. Sold it. Bought it back, dumped an ungodly amount of money into it since then.
longorange68 is offline   Reply With Quote