View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Could my AC be overheating my truck?

I realize your pain. Yesterday was hot and my truck also ran over normal as expected.

I have a new cooling system with a 165 thermostat ( stant premium stainless product ) and I am getting ready to change out my water pump again. Stant makes those thermostats in 2 different product lines. A Radiator guy here locally pointed out to me those low budget ones have a high defect rate and they stick quite frequently. I am thinking of a Mr Gasket high flow unit when I do the next rebuild.

The stock unit ( water pump ) has a cast impeller. I upgraded to a new unit with a stamped steel impeller which is supposed to have more flow. As I remember over 10 years ago the cooling system had this style of impeller in the pump and I did quite well keeping cool. This unit I have on now does nothing for helping out on the hot days.

Last summer I completely rebuild the cooling system yet kept that crappy water pump on it since it was only 6 months old. My system was acting like a heat sink, when it got above 80 it would continue to heat up driving me nuts, yet on a cool day it would have no problems.

How much do you drive your rig in summer? I would venture to say you use it a lot during this time of year.

Thanks again for the help with the Front End components still having a bear of time removing that last lower ball joint but I will get it!!!

Hope this helps
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote