View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Devil'S Ride

Smile project: Wheeler

Ok....so I have had this truck for a while, and after i got it, the PO at somepoint had converted it to a gas motor from a diesel. To say that the wiring was AFU and atrocious would be a complete understatement. After replacing two carbs, a front driveshaft, front brakes, rebuilding the hubs, changing all the fluids, 6 starters, two new flex plates, a PS pump and box and going to all MSD dist and ignition I decided it was time to stop trying to just fix all the problems the truck came with and tear it all apart. I don't use the truck for anything more than a wheeling and hunting truck, and sometimes to tow my camp trailer to the hunting camp. After taking the truck wheelin 3 times and coming home with something broken and new electrical problems every time I parked it for about 2 years, planning and collecting parts.

About two years ago I started tearing everything out, to begin a re-wire. I gutted the interior, everything came out, dash, wiring, pad, carpet, seats:
starting off-

almost empty!

engine compartment disaster!

In this build I am going for simplicity and function....

Some of my new parts:

The Dash as it sits now.

I have since put in buckets, which makes things a lot more comfortable, and a better view point. The old steering has been replaced with a 4x2 box, and crossover. Custom front bumper, new rear bumper in the works, Bushwacker flares have been removed, fenders hogged out, 3" body lift is coming off in favor of a 1" aluminum puck BL, Bed will be bobbed for the time being, plans for a flatbed are in the works with about 8 inches removed from the frame. At the moment I am trying to figure out a new fuel tank, as having the saddle bag tanks makes me nervous about crushing one on a tree or rock. Thinking about having one made to fit between the frame rails under the tool box at the front of the bed. (Cut a hole in the bed floor to fit around) Hoping for a 25-30 gallon capacity.

Eventually going to finish setting up a 203/205 to go behind my TH400. I will either end up rebuilding my BBC again, or toying with the thought of a warmed over 12 valve CTD. I'll get some more pics of the seats and the fender trimming sometime in the near future.

I run a lot of trails, rocks, narrow climbs, and all my wheelin' buddies run mini trucks....toyotas, ford rangers, scouts, jeeps....and I have followed them everywhere without an issue. Now, getting them to follow me is not so easy!

Let me know your thoughts and ideas!!

Thanks for looking and reading!

1983 ONE TON 454/400/208 11" of lift on 44's
Devil'S Ride is offline   Reply With Quote