View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #48
BrianG

Re: Lets talk Small Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
Let's revisit this. Different PCV valves are available for different vacuum profiles. Have you tried different valves?

Also, carb tuning can make a big difference. Have you tuned the idle mixture screws with a vacuum gauge attached? A small turn of the screw could add 1-2" of vacuum. And might actually make it idle better. Count the turns so you can reset it if you aren't happy.

Another trick is the vacuum advance on your distributor. What is that attached to? If it's on ported vacuum now, you can attach it to manifold vacuum. That will give you a bump in idle, allowing you to back off the throttle stop screw. That may also give you another 1-2", especially if you are idling on the power circuit now.
I have tried a few different PCVs and ended up with one from a 302 small block. I found quite a lot of references to this online and that's what I ended up with. As far as tuning, I have a vacuum gauge and have tuned it for optimal vacuum using that. I've also tried no vacuum advance which is where the motor was when I got it and he was told by the engine builder that it didn't need it. I've tried ported and I've tried full manifold. There are enough discussions on this forum and other's online that debate that. I've read and read on about them. I think currently it is connected to ported vacuum. I have checked for leaks and there are none that I can find. I was curious if maybe I had a brake issue or if something had happened to the motor while it sat when I was working on the body. I ran across the guy I bought it back from and asked him about the brakes. He said..."Yes, you only really got one good pedal out of it" and that's how it is now. So, I don't feel that anything has happened to it. I just think that the particular cam that is in the motor now, is not necessarily a street friendly cam. When he bought it from me 10 years ago, he bought it strictly for off road use. I had used it for both on and off road prior to that, but now it will be pretty much an on road vehicle unless I decide to take it to the dunes some day. I need to sacrifice some wide open throttle horsepower for torque and street drivability.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote