View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
k5hart

Died while driving now won't start

Hey all,

This one has me a little stumped although I haven't been able to dive head on into yet.

I just bought a 1991 silverado, completely stock 5.7 and auto trans. It ran and started like new up until it died on me. I was driving in around town traffic and as I slowed down to a stop the rpm's just kept going down until the truck shut off. Nothing violent or sudden, no real stumbling or sputtering. Just quit kind of like it was out of gas. Now the truck will not start back up. Turns over fine and smooth. Never tries to fire or stumbles just turns over and over. I have over 1/4 tank of gas.

I've checked that fuel is getting to the TBI by loosing the line and the I can hear the pump run. I think it's spraying but I'm not sure how much gas I should be seeing at startup. I also tried a little starting fluid and nothing. I've also changed the coil and had the module checked out (good) as I don't think I have any spark. All fuses are good.

Could any one part just shut off the truck so suddenly with no warning? How can I tell if the computer is dead? I can't get the check engine light to blink so that may be a problem. I'm going to investigate that next. When I turn the key to crank it I can hear relays clicking on and the gauges all work as they should.

Any help is appreciated. I'll be working all day to figure it out. Thanks.