View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #200
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

Appreciate it, thanks for the idea too!

It's been a mostly uneventful week with the truck due to things really picking up at work and trying to tackle many of the other side projects I have going on and other ones that continue to pop up. However, I did pick up some new wheels on my daily driver. I wanted something a little bit more modern in size, and I love the fact that they make the truck look 10 years newer!

I also ended up (mostly) scrapping the idea I started on with the filler neck. The bend radius was too large, and no matter what I did I couldn't figure out a way to connect it to the tank that didn't require multiple fittings or being ran in a way I didn't like. I lopped off the piece of tubing I welded on initially, and picked up two more of the same diameter with much tighter bends. As a bonus, they don't have the cheapie looking crimp bends in them either!

I did have to trim the ends a little bit to get things to line up exactly the way I wanted, but I'm glad I started over - it came out a LOT cleaner this way! Everything tack welded in place:

Pulled out and fully welded on the bench

Gave it a shot of primer and paint

And here's the final fit! I'm very happy with how this one turned out. I even put in 5 gallons of fuel and no leaks!

I also got a call on Friday that my driveshaft is ready. I'll be picking it up Monday (tomorrow), and get that stuck in. That should be the last piece I need in order to fire this old girl up!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote