View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #137
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
can you go into more detail on pulling the fender skins off and putting them back on?

how time consuming? was it worth it? etc?

Really considering this- but obviously will wreck the flange while pulling it off.
It all comes down to how much time you want or can spend on your build. Also the level of resto you want. I really didnt want to use a stud puller on the damage. It took me about 2hours to drill out all the spot welds and once the welds were drilled the inner fender came right out. You do have to peal back one section of the fender lip but that can get hammered back into place once the fender is back in place. But in no way do you damage any fender lip.

I would do it all over again. I didnt like the fact that i could see so much rust and I wanted to hammer and dolly the panel as flat as I could.

But it is time consuming. Between cutting out the welds, then stripping all sides of the fender down to bare metal, I would say I have around 20 hours of work into the fender just to get it back to epoxy. So 20 hours in, cutting welds, hammer and dolly work, stripping all sides to bare metal, epoxy priming all sides of the fender and welding back together. And now another 5 hours in block sanding (round 1).

Paul
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote