View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #109
jasonvw

Re: Crushing Gumby 71 Shortbed Patina build

Ok, interior resto, here we go. I have seen people on the forums here ask over and over again, how do you get the dash pad off, how do you swap the gauge cluster etc, so if this is you, here is your answer. To start with, this is what Im working with. My truck has the original dash pad still on it and the Pole position video game steering wheel just wasn't cutting it for me so thats going too. The gauge housing was all faded and the face was yellowing as well so all that had to get swapped out too.
Name:  rsz_img_1615.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  45.2 KB

The first step is go disconnect your battery! Seems like common sense, but this will be important in a few minutes! Seriously go do it. Now you need to get your glove box open and take off all the screws that hold the door to the dash. Once those are out there are 4 other screws that hold the glove box to the dash, 2 on the side and 2 on the top. Get all of them out.
Name:  rsz_img_1618.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  40.7 KB

Now pull out the glove box itself. Mine was all brittle and broken so I trashed it as it was getting replaced anyway. Once the box is out this is what you have. If you are doing any heater box work, now is the time! Also if you need to access your radio for swapping it out etc, this is also how you get to it best.
Name:  rsz_img_1622.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  41.4 KB

Now that you have the box out, go over to the drivers side. This is why you disconnected your battery in the beginning. Take your left hand and reach up behind the left most part of the dash and feel for the back of the headlight switch. Once you have your hand on it. take your finger and poke around on the top of the switch for a knob that you can push down with your finger. As you do this pull the headlight switch out from the front with your other hand, It will stop in the ON position, Once you find the knob on the back of the switch top and push it down, it will release the switch in your right hand and the switch will pull out from the assembly.
Name:  rsz_img_1623.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  32.3 KB

Once that is off, you can unscrew the collar from the dash. Again, make sure the battery is disconnected or your lights will be on and kill your battery.
Name:  rsz_img_1624.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  38.9 KB

Follow me on Instagram for the latest updates:
http://instagram.com/deadairgarage