View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #115
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Well from what I know there are two kinds, Zinc rich and copper weld through primer. The purpose of them is that when you spot weld or plug weld (rosette weld for fancy people) there are two bare steel surfaces where corrosion can start and supposedly the weld through primers protect those surfaces. I chose the copperweld because zinc rich weld through primers are very bad for your health. I am somewhat anal and I don't want to die just yet and I don't want to deal with rust ever again so I used the copper weld through primer. I will be using seam sealer and then coating my floors with UPOL raptor liner (bed liner) on my floors top and bottom to further seal out the elements.

So now that we are well aquainted what is up with the name "trying to make junky perhaps just a little bit funky"?? Is that a song or just something you came up with? _Later Dan
I realized I never responded to this. So, Copperweld is basically a primer that still allows you to weld. And it's good to use when you are spot welding so you don't leave bare metal in between the two pieces where they might get corroded.

I don't think not wanting to die anytime soon makes you anal. Good call, though.

Any particular brand of seam sealer you recommend?

I like the idea of using the bed liner on your floors. I was thinking of something similar. I have not yet decided if I am going to POR15 my frame, just paint it, or leave it as is. I honestly don't have the patience for cleaning and painting the entire frame. I kind of feel like it's survived this long, it will probably outlive me.

I was planning on using either POR 15 or perhaps the rustoleum spray rubber on my floor (Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 265494 12-Ounce Leak Seal... Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 265494 12-Ounce Leak Seal...). I will check out the UPOL raptor liner you mentioned as well.

I want to put a liner on my bed, as this will be a truck I am going to use, not just some pretty show truck that stays in a garage all the time.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote