View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
rickoner

Re: My Drive-way Build - '65 short pants

Spent some time working on the sheet metal replacement. I got to say I felt really overwhelmed and in over my head. This is the first time that I've ever attempted this much sheet metal replacement by far. But, after diving in it's not that bad at all. I think the best thing that you can do to prepare for something like this is to have a game plan. After that, let the body saws and grinders loose and let the sparks fly. Don't be afraid of messing up, IT'S ONLY METAL! At least that's what I tell myself. haha. I got all my patches from Top Banana and so far they fit... ok. Don't expect them to drop right in. You'll more than likely have to cut you panels into smaller ones and piece them back together. Anyways here's a few pics of the progress so far.

Well that's a giant hole now isn't it? Next are a few pics after I spent a bit on the replacement panel. I removed a strip by the tunnel as those lines didn't line up at all. The mount hole needed to be moved as well. It wasn't even close.

The mount hole went from this:

To this:

Overall everything is fitting decently at this point. This is the biggest let down of the panel, but it's fixable.

Wound up a bit short on material on that one. Wouldn't be a big issue if I had access to a brake but I don't. Would anybody close to Pittsburgh with one be willing to bend me up a few pieces? Hopefully I can make some progress today. Tomorrow starts a week of 12 hour work days, so there won't be any progress then.

Thanks for looking guys.
rickoner is offline   Reply With Quote