View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Headlight relay mod revisited...my way to do it and save some money

I was wandering around looking under the hood of junk cars, scavenging hose clamps and other usefull trinkets when I spotted the perfect thing.

On a FWD Mopar puke car, late 80's, early 90's there is a perfect little bracket with two Bosch style relays on the fenderwell.

These are the exact relays you need to do the headlight relay mod and not have to order them or buy them new. A Bosch relay is a Bosch relay. These were priced perfectly, free.

Here's some pics of what I'm talking about...

If you do this mod, please do it right, so it's reliable.

I posted a picture of good quality crimping tools. Those 4 dollar do-it-all electrical tools suck. Spend 25 bucks and enjoy the good life.

I also posted a picture of a neat tool I use. It's a miniature butane torch. I originally saw the Boyd's guys using them on TV. My wife picked one up for me at Home Depot. It's a godsend for heat shrink tubing in tight areas.

Finally, there is a picture of a finished connection. Notice there are no connectors with colored plastic sleeves. Remove the sleeve and expose the bare connector. Then crimp with a good tool. Next, solder the connection to the terminal. Finally, cover with heatshrink.

Matt covered the basics of this mod in his post, I'm just elaborating on a good way to do it even cheaper.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 02-06-2006 at 07:38 AM.