View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
OrrieG

Re: Any interest in a 2wd to 4wd conversion kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Blazerock View Post
It will have crossover steering using a 78 IH Scout p.s. box and a kit from ORU, DIY, or Sky mfg. Some people cringe when I mention the Scout steering gear, but it is a Saginaw gear just like GM uses and I'm told my p.s. pump hoses will screw right to it without modification.
Why not just use a GM box you ask. In the past 25 years I've seen dozens of people do just that on 55-59 conversions (steering box on outside of frame rail) and all of them that use tires larger than 33 in. complain about the tire hitting the steering box and limiting right turn radias. The Scout box doesn't interfere because it mostly sits on top of the frame rail.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't know how far you got in your build but I have photos of a Jeep saginaw box that mounts inside the frame infront of the crossmember and uses crossover steering. My recollection is that it was a stock Jeep application.

I mounted a 74 box on the outside like you said and will just deal with the turning radius, if its a PITA than will probably convert to something like this.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote