View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
rfmaster

Re: 1988 350 TBI idles funny, stalls when put in gear, and accels rough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongun324 View Post
Alright update. So I noticed that my muffler is completely shot, falling apart... would that relate to any of this? Just curious...

I checked vacuum lines, and the ones going to the MAP, EGR, and AIR all look fine. The one going to the canister, and others in that route were pretty rough looking so i've replaced those now. After a quick test drive, not any noticeable improvement.

Now that it's warmed up, checked again for any vacuum leaks (while running), cant find any. Could it take a long time for the computer to realize the problem is gone and relearn to run smoothly? Seems to be idling much better right now...
You can reset computer by disconnecting battery (engine is off) for about 30 seconds. This will reset all fuel trim levels

Another common cause of idle issues is a build up of carbon in the IAC passages. On high millage cars and trucks (TBI) carbon may prevent IAC panticle from closing of by-pass air passage resulting in hunting idle speed . Couple of shots of carb cleaner and a good brushing takes care of this pesky problem. Idle air inlet is at 11 o'clock position outside the left bore (near IAC motor).

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote