View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #72
McMurphy

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
When I was young I benefitted from a couple of old guys that took the time to teach me a great deal of mechanical stuff they learned the hard way.
Well sir, a couple of things you said here have resonated with me, this is one of them.

Quote:
But going from that type of vital daily routine to nothing at all was rather daunting for quite a while.
Was another....
There used to be a joke in the Army.
Q: what is the leading cause of death for Soldiers?
A: Retirement

Just to put it in a nutshell, you come in the Military you usually dont have a plan or a care. Then you get some rank, responsibility, and reenlist a couple of times and you start to plan and care. Sometimes too much.
You learn to wrestle responsiblity and drink coffee by the gallon, then later you learn to chew on stress and wash that down with copious amounts of beer.
Then after 20 or 30 years, one day you walk across a stage, and all that stress gets hung on a hanger and put in the closet in the suit bag you toted around most of your career.

I generally get up in the morning 2 hours before I have to walk out the door, which in context is usually about 0400. Just because I have to feed that routine you talked about. One thing throws off my routine and stuff happens like driving off and forgetting to take out the trash with me or bring my lunch to work.

My last job as a civilian before I came back in the Army was cooking at an Army golf course club house. After I had worked there a few months, I started to realize there was a core group of 15 guys that would golf ~every~ day, weekends too!
It occured to me that not all of them could be independantly wealthy, or have sugar mommas keeping them in greens fees and golf balls. So I asked how they were able to golf all the time and not have to have jobs.
common denominators between all them were:
Retired Military
Real Estate
Investments, though only one or two of them managed their stocks and bonds personally. Most had an agency that did that for them.

As we are now, I should not have to ask someone for a job, or set my brain on auto pilot to draw a paycheck ever again.
I hope with what we are getting set up there in Chattaroy, I will have the time investments to keep my routine, and keep the sudden lack of stress from killing me !!

Thanks for your replies, the insight is awesome.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote