View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
hewittca

Green Gus the 68 shortbed convert

Hi everyone, my name is Corey and I am a long time lurker here, but never posted in the past because I didn't have any C10 specific content to add. I've always wanted a C10 and after college, grad school, and starting a family, I am finally in the process of buying my first C10. I should be picking it up in the next week, so I wanted to start up a build thread for it. Before I get too far ahead of myself (and jynx the sale), I wanted to share a little nostalgic trip back to where my love for C10's started:

My dad bought his first C10 back in 1974. It was a medium gold '68 LWB. At the time he was 19 and still had his little compound set up in the back of his parents' house as you can see here. To the left of the truck is his '65 Chevelle which would eventually become his drag car pictured below.

Even though the truck was only a few years old at that time, it already needed rockers and cab corners! So after a few years my dad tore it apart, fixed the rust, and repainted it '78 brown poly with a '78 buckskin top/nose. He used it mostly as a daily driver and for camping.

My dad was also into bracket racing at the time. Instead of getting a trailer for the C10, however, he opted to pick up a '70 (I think) GMC tow truck to haul his '65 Chevelle to the track. He painted it the same colors as his C10. This is also about the time I came along in 1984, and where I was imprinted with the love for these old trucks early on.

At some point, he decided it would be best to trailer the Chevelle afterall, but still used the towtruck to pull it.

When my brother came along in 1987, the old trucks just weren't cutting it anymore and my dad sold the C10 (which was subsequently wrecked by the new owner a week later) and the towtruck. He also opted to move on to a new project and sell the Chevelle. Here he is right before selling the Chevelle.

He decided to go with a '75 crew cab and build a full tube chassis '27 Ford.

Here I am with the '27 Ford in 1989.

After a few years, he ended up starting his own business and sold the Ford, but he does still have the crew cab to this day. Although I have the most memories with the crew cab, there's something about those early years with the C10, and looking back at the pictures in awe as a kid that has left an undying love for the 67-72 trucks.

So, that's enough about me and where my love for these trucks comes from, the rest of this thread will be dedicated to the build of my own '68 C10. I will hopefully update this very soon with details and pictures. My goal is to also keep a flair of nostalgia with my truck to keep the theme going. I hope you all enjoyed the blast from the past and enjoy my build.

Last edited by 70cst; 05-20-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: OP asked to chnage title.
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote