View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
englands 71

Re: Brake lights . Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
These symptoms almost always turn out to be caused by poor grounds.
clean all the sockets where the bulbs go in and where the sockets mount to the bed. Make sure you have a good ground from the bed to the frame and from the frame to the negative battery terminal.

Unplug your steering column plug and look at the half that comes from the fuse panel and the cab firewall.

The white wire is the brake switch wire. It is hot when you push on the pedal.

jumper between the white wire and the yellow wire which is the left turn/ left brake light.

Push on the pedal and the left brake/turn light should come on.

do the same for the dark green wire which is the right turn/brake light wire.

If the lights don't come on then either:

There is a break in the wires to both lights.
They are not grounded.
Or the bulbs are blown.

If you can get to the connector at the rear of the truck, pull it apart and check for 12 volts on those two wires when a helper pushes the brake pedal.

If you have a multimeter and you know how to use it you should get 12 volts between the wires and the frame. Since your lights were working, you should get the 12 volts.

Now put the meter on Ohms to check resistance and check the other side of the connector that goes to the rear lights. If you know that your bulbs are good you should read resistance between the two brake/ turn wires and ground (frame) about 75 ohms if I recall correctly.

The tail lights are part of the bulb filament so if you have tail lights then you must be getting ground from the bulbs. In your post did you say you had tail lights or just front parking lights?

Try these checks and get back with the results.
I've got tail lights but when I turn on the hazard lights I only have front hazards. The rear lights don't flash with hazards on.

Ok I'll give'er a try . Thanks Vette !
englands 71 is offline   Reply With Quote