View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
Shelby0099

Re: Just bought this '67 lwb - sat on a farm most of it's life.

Thank you guys! That's what I like about this board, seems to be a lot of friendly enthusiasm..

Yes, Semi-low-budget...let's try to define that. I'll just ramble off some thoughts and see if I'm in the ballpark. I was going to just get an SSBC etc disc brake conversion but I may simply try to use parts from other newer trucks to make the conversion. I was surprised at how well the 283 ran. Supposedly it only has 9,000 miles but who really knows? I'm thinking/hoping I wont have to do a rebuild on the motor, maybe just an intake and carb swap.
-- I might find intake and carb used for maybe the $400 range in total.

The transmission, I don't know yet. Hopefully that won't need much either. The fluid is bright red clean, doesn't seem to have had much usage.
-- best case, just fluids $30?

The rear-end could probably be the same, just change fluid and let it spin.
-- best case, just fluids $30?

The suspension, I would probably just re-build. I like the idea of a nice lift with big tires, but I can put that off for down the road and just keep the stock ride height. Or I might see about a flip kit and front A-arms and drop it lower.
-- going with a lift would be most expensive, probably costing significantly more than what I paid for the truck. Lowering it would be a less expensive maybe the $1500 mark. And just rebuilding everything stock would just be bushings, joints etc....I'd budget maybe $500 and then I might get a decent price on stock tires maybe $300-$400?

The frame looks pretty damn solid, I could employ some old school low cost tips in cleaning it up and painting it.

The cab is what needs the most work. Panels are cheap and I'm not a bad welder. I had been planning a plasma cutter and TIG welder purchase...I might take a closer look at the Eastwood package of MIG and Plasma and then get TIG later.

I'd put the gas tank in the rear, so I'd need that kit which is I think around $250. Need all new brake and gas lines, gotta check price on that.

Interior...new door handles, window cranks, dashpad. Not sure if I want to keep the bench seat or go with buckets. I'd have more flexibility if I went with buckets and could get any seat combination from a junk yard. I like the stock steering wheel, but if other classic wheels are at a swap meet someplace maybe that's not too expensive. The guy I bought it from threw in a power steering pump, so I'd need the bracketry and a new steering box.

I'd rewire the entire thing. I like American Autowire as I've used them before.

For the body, I do like the patina look but that bed is completely different blue color. I might experiment with cheaper paint alternatives and not worry so much about the dents or just do enough to fix them but not make it perfect. Dents kind of build character. My main focus on the body is fix the gaping holes and rust areas, lower portions of the doors, rockers etc... make it clean and try to preserve some patina or make some of my own.

The biggest problems with this truck right now are the brakes and the gaping holes in the rear part of the cab. But this is much easier to fix than a Mustang...I'm 82% sure of that.

Any and all comments are welcome...Thank you
Shelby0099 is offline   Reply With Quote