View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
rgunlock

Grinding/binding noise from NP205 in right turn?

I've recently swapped out most of my drivetrain - front and rear axles, SM465 for NV4500, different NP205 and rear driveshaft. I don't have a front driveshaft mounted yet. Afterwards, I started noticing a loud grinding/binding noise when making right turns, generally going up a slight incline in my parking garage at work. I don't notice any noise making left turns.

I've got a device called a "Chassis Ear" where you clip microphones (I assume) at various spots and listen on each one using headphones. I took it to work with me and tried after work to identify where the noise was coming from, except that it wouldn't make the noise. I've discovered that it only makes a racket after having been driven for miles (I'm 16 miles from work).

Today I made a trip to the office so I could listen for the noise while the parking garage was empty. Basically, it sounds like the noise is coming from the rear of the NP205. I hear it more from the area with the large round cover, not so much from the u-joint for the rear driveshaft, and not from the forward facing side of the NP205.

The TC had been rebuilt by a drivetrain shop, but considering some of the issues I've had with their work I can believe that the NP205 has a problem. What I don't understand is why it would grind and bind during right turns. And it's loud. Another guy in the parking garage confirmed that he could hear it from 60-80 feet away.

I'm sure I'll end up having to swap or re-rebuild this NP205 but I'm just wondering whether anyone has a reasonable explanation for the noise. I wouldn't think that the NP205 would have any idea that I was making a sharp right turn.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote