View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #194
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
Larry,

With the popularity of LS engine swaps, you should be able to find a shop in your area that can put a proper dyno tune on the 8.1L, seeing as it uses the same hardware and software as an LS engine. It will cost a bit of change, the 2 shops in my area change $500 for a dyno tune.
Well ya, that is a given…tuning an 8.1L is no different than an early Gen III but in Pueblo, Colorado or even Colorado Springs there isn’t any tuner I know of, or one that I would trust for that matter, to do it so I’ll probably end up trailering it to Denver and paying someone out the nose to keep the truck for a period time and hotrod the crap out of it to get the tune dialed in. That hassle, worry and expense was not figured into the budget or plan.

I’m coming off of a 4.3L to TBI 7.4L project that basically took two years to get the tune 95% dialed in. I am sick and tired of dealing with and forking over cash to eccentric tuners where each think they are better than the last but in reality each actually sucks worse than the last in some way. And, I don’t have the interest in buying software and learning the tuning myself. I’ve already been through that self-tuning BS on a MEFI-4 Marine/RamJet ECM and quickly learned that I certainly am not a tuner nerd. I’ll give a tuner a chance to get this L18 going but I have no problem throwing a stock cam back in and start driving it the next day. I’m certainly not going to deal with months or years of tuning BS or dealing with tuners again like I did on the 7.4L Super Sportside project
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote