View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

So this is what the 71 truck looked like when I first got it home. It had a 305 engine that I was told was pulled out of an 85 Camaro. I think the kids I got it from wanted to try and hot rod it or something. I don't think they were interested in restoring it for certain. The 2nd pic is after I took off the hood and grill.

Later on a picked up a 350 engine from an 83 3/4 ton truck off of Craigslist. I took it apart and had it rebuilt. Ordered a towing camshaft and new lifters from Summit. Also replaced the pistons, oil pump, and oil pan. Pics 3 and 4 are the before and after shots of the engine. I was going to get an aluminum intake manifold, but to save a few $$$ right now I decided to stick with the stock one. I can always upgrade it later.

I do have a question for anyone who might know the answer. The fan that can with the 350 engine has a clutch on it. My friend likes the fan that came with the 305 better, not sure why but he thinks it is a better designed fan. I cannot add the clutch to the 305's fan. Any thoughts on whether the engine is better off with a fan/clutch compared to just the fan by itself?

Thanks!
Attached Images

DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote