View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
kamby

Re: 1972 GMC Custom Camper Towing Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
The book will give you a number, but it doesn't mean crap. Think of it this way. You're not going to break the truck as long as your hitch is rated for what you're towing, and is properly installed. Make sure your tires are proper for the weight, and that your brakes are in top shape. With a small block, you're good for probably 8 - 10,000 lbs, depending on what HP you're at. Watch how the springs and tires are squatting. It will be VERY apparent if you're overloaded.

My point is, with towing, common sense outweighs a number in a book.
Of course i use common sense when towing anything, anything from my 900lb camper to a 53' utilty reefer trailer. My main curiosity is to see what these are rated for. This does have the custom camper package so i know it has the beffier leaf springs, smallest spring being 1/2" thick. Has the dana 60 rear end, coudnt find the numbers to cross the dom over to get the ratio.

The back end fo the truck sits up kinda high, kinda like is sloped forward, i hauled a bundle 4'x8' x 1/2" ply in the back and it leveled the truck out. 70 sheets weighed approx 3000lbs according to the place i got the ply from. Weight sounded kinda high to me that comes out to be roughly 42lbs per sheet i dunno.

Also had the brakes redone: new pads, new drums, springs, seals, bearings, cylindars, etc.. basically everything back there is new except the mounting plate coming off the axle and the spindle things that go into the rearend, they were actually removed from to check the teeth on them.

The fronts are disc breaks and are looking good. Also front end is torsion suspension

Last edited by kamby; 04-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.
kamby is offline   Reply With Quote