View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
JetForceF22

Re: 1989 Suburban - Sluggish Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSlaughter View Post
Hello all, truck is a 89' Suburban V2500 4X4. My grandfather drives the truck mostly. He came to me and said the brake pedal was hard to press and the truck wouldn't slow down. I test drove the truck and confirmed the truck was having a hard time stopping. Once the brake pedal gets 3/4 the way to the floor it seems to bottom out and loose its brakes force. Example, if you where to press on the brakes harder, the braking force increases. This is not the case, you can stand on the brake pedal and the brake force is the same once the pedal reaches about 3/4. So if your going say 10 mph and stand on the brakes the truck will slowly roll to a stop, not lock up the tires at all. So far the master has been replaced (Says my grandfather, about a year ago) I've bleed each corner of the truck twice to make sure there is no air, did a hand vacuum pump test on the booster and there is no leaks. The truck is ok driving around town at slow speeds, but going down a hill is a problem. There is no worry of locking up the brakes in their current state.
Sounds like it could be a problem with the break booster. Check the vacuum line on the break booster and make sure there's no leak from the TBI/intake to the booster. Also possible the check valve is not opening properly. It should be located either in or near the break booster... something like this picture

don't know exactly without looking at my booster on my truck. Sometimes the check valve is actually in the vacuum line... Anyone with more expertise in this area feel free to chime in.
1972 3/4 Ton Cheyenne Super, 350ci 650 cfm Edelbrock 4bbl Performer AVS, Edelbrock Torquer intake manifold, Headman Longtube Headers to 2 1/2in cutouts to 3 inch flowmaster super 40's true dual. 4.10? Rear SM-465/205 transfer case. Now this one is busted!! http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...k/1972 Pickup/
1995 K1500 Silverado 5.7L 350 TBI with 1in swirl torque spacer, Flowtech shorty headers, 3 inch collectors to y pipe going to 3in highlfow cat converter, single offset passenger side outlet, full 3 inch setup from collectors. Edelbrock High Flow 255LPH/67GPH Fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge, running at about 18psi. 3.73 Rear 4L60-E 4 speed auto (Rebuilt)http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...1995%20Pickup/
JetForceF22 is offline   Reply With Quote