View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #70
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Next weekend I hope to get the front of the motor cleaned up and painted. Following that I can reinstall the P/S pump, alternator, belts, etc.. I still have to find something to plug the holes in the exhaust manifolds where I removed the AIR system. Then I need to cut down the reinforcing plates and reinstall them on the frame.

I'm getting pretty close to being ready to swap the 68 body on, however I have a dilemma. I already got a replacement hydroboost unit because it was leaking fluid so bad. The steering box is leaking like crazy around the input shaft and the p/s pump is leaking too. Basically the whole hydraulic system has leaks which seems a bit odd. I don't recall exactly what the PO said but I had feared that he had either added power steering fluid to the master cylinder or brake fluid to the power steering system. I know the fluids are incompatible and would cause leaks and having everything on the entire hydraulic system leaking worries me. On top of that the old hydroboost is leaking past the seals just laying on the floor! One last thing that worries me is that for a while the hydroboost unit was laying on a rubber mat and what leaked on to that caused the mat to swell up, does anyone know if that is normal for power steering fluid (ATF actually) to do that to rubber? Seems like that is why you aren't supposed to use fuel line for p/s cooler line. If I need to swap on a rebuilt power steering box I will be out several hundred more dollars. Need some serious advice here folks! Here is a shot of the hydroboost leaking on the floor. The ports are pointed up!
Attached Images