View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #123
st1

Re: Pics of the long distance project...

Thank you, LT7A!!!

So I left the prison Tuesday morning headed to a local shop for a double check. The owner was helpful. Did an alignment (prison did an alignment with the tape measure) and checked some nuts and bolts. You know looking at how the truck was put together and so on. I left the shop headed to the hotel to get my bags and head out. So when I went to park at the hotel the truck cut off.... out of gas! but the gas gauge was showing half a tank. I walked to the gas station got some gas walked back started right up put 10 gallons in (still showing half a tank). I filled the $16 gas can with gas and headed east. The drive was mostly uneventful other than running out of gas once due to my miscalculation and the header nuts backing off in Mississippi. I got the bolts/nuts tack welded in Atlanta Friday morning. Which was a well spent $20 cause open header at 75mph for hours on end gets old quickly.

ISSUES:::::
-the doom light is constantly on when the truck is running (I removed the bulb) and I think there are too many things on that circuit cause if I put that bulb back in it blows the fuse.
-The gas gauge is stuck at half a tank
-fill the gas tank with patience or the gas will GUSH back at you and the newly installed wood bed floor. I think that is a venting issue.
-I need to get the headlights aimed.
-The electric parking brake stops the vehicle when put in reverse but not drive???(curious).
-I thought I had an issue with the windows, but it helps if all the bolts are in place (vibration will cause things to get loose).
-The speedometer and odometer don't work so its a good thing I had that GPS in the rear view mirror to track mileage as I tried to travel 140 between fill ups.
-I think my ride tech shocks on the front are leaking.
-My A/C compressor won't kick on, we checked it at the shop after he filled the system with freon then removed all the freon once we figured out the compressor was inoperable.
-The Vintage Air control panel does not light up. I don't think the brown wire is hooked up correctly or at all.

The fuel gauge sending unit and fuel gauge were checked numerous times, so I think it is a grounding issue. I grounded the sending unit, same results. I think the sending unit and gauge need to be grounded together?? the gauge shows 3/8 tank with the switch on and the radiator fan running when the fan shuts off it shows 1/2 tank. It remains at 1/2 even after an hour and half of driving on Saturday. No idea other than to ground the gauge and sending unit at the same grounding point and see if that changes anything.

I think the speedometer and odometer not working are the result of a wire not being connected between the gauge and the hall effect connector. I have not made the time to check all of it. I say that because the gauge lights up and displays mileage, trip 1, trip 2, and calibration. It goes through the entire calibration process until its time to actually show the pulses per minute or actually work. I don't think it is getting the pulses from the hall effect connector on the transmission.

Wilwood brakes STOP! The GM Blue paint looks killer! The interior is really nice. Stereo POUNDS!!!

So a few issues thus far but nothing catastrophic. Many thumbs up and a few folks who walk up and start talking during the drive. Folks at work came over to check it out and get a look at Silver State Industries handy work. I must say I almost dropped to a knee when I saw the rock chip on the hood Saturday morning. I used a little touchup paint and kept my composure. I thank you for reading, asking questions, commenting, and any advise you may offer. st1

78 GMC Stepside (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=243201)
06 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T
05 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
st1 is offline   Reply With Quote