View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #684
'65 chevy lover

Re: What did you do to your truck today part IV

Got more done this past weekend. The steering was jacked up because of the lower bearing in the steering column was worn out. It was one of the original bearings without sides or grease in it. We replaced it with one of the good, heavy duty bearings that should last a long time. We did have to weld on the steering shaft to fill in where the bad bearing had ground a groove in the shaft and then grind it smooth of course. Now the steering feels nice and tight without any slop. Along with that, we cut off the gear selector mounting lug and, removed the gear indicator, filled up the holes with bondo, sanded and painted it to make it a floor shift steering column. Then, we fitted a sheet metal patch that I purchased from LMC, in the hole on the left side of the cab where the old fuel filler was located. After grinding it down, putting on some bondo, sanding that down, we slapped on a couple coats of good primer. Next weekend, we're gonna finish the exhaust. Amoung the things left to do is, installing a tach, installing a horn, lining up the body panels and, doing a little touch up painting. I'm not going to do a full new paint job. Besides not having the money for that, I'd rather it have a rat rod type paint job. It's gettin there!!
Attached Images

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 06-28-2018 at 12:29 AM.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote