Thread: DIY Paintjob
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
nail pounder

Re: DIY Paintjob

We had Earl Scheib paint one of our work trucks white, just a scuff and shoot single stage. Cost $1400, I had to have them respray a few spots (they were not happy) because of chips they missed and crappy masking. It has some orange peel but over all it's good for a work truck. My daughter and I painted my 66 at home in a carport tent. Cost was about $475 in paint, $200 for a decent gun, maybe $100 in sand paper, already had a big compressor. Lot of hours in prep work, hard to count because I did it over about a year, bodywork, primer etc. Painting took 3 Saturdays, one for white, one for blue, one for interior. Probably another 40hr in cut and buffing. I had orange peel and a couple runs, but it all buffed out. I'd say it's at least as good of quality as Earl, maybe better. My daughter and I made some fun memories and when someone complements it I can say we did it. I learned a lot about painting and I'm sure my Apache paint will be ever better when I get to that point. It still hurts everytime someone door dings it but it's a driver and I'm not in debt over a paint job.
Attached Images

nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote