View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #376
knomadd

Re: How about some pics of Static Dropped C-10's

Quote:
Originally Posted by legotech7 View Post
Ok I'm really a noob when it comes to lowering my 1970 c10. What is exactly a static drop? I would like to lower my truck and some one suggested a 5'' up front and a 6'' in the rear. They said it would get the truck low and level, front and back. Could I do a 2.5'' spindle with a 2'' coil up front, if there are 2'' coil available. and I know there are rear kits for the 6'' drop. I also plan on converting the 6 lug set up in the rear to 5 on 5. I've searched all over the threads, but some of the information got me a little confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Take a look at the pictures on the previous page (and this thread for that matter) before you decide to go with one person's suggestion. You'll need to consider a lot of things before just dropping your truck. First and foremost, what do you want to do with it? Are you planning on using it as a truck (loading things in the bed, towing, etc.), a daily driver (how bad are your roads?) a cruiser (how comfortable do you want your ride?) or just a show truck? If you're at all concerned about ride quality and bad roads, I personally wouldn't do a 5" front drop, but that's me. Remember, the ride gets rougher the lower you go with a pure coil spring drop. If you do a 2.5" spindle and a 2" spring (4.5" drop) it will ride smoother than a 4" or 5" coil only drop.

As for the rear, a 5" to 6" drop is max without having to do some sort of frame modification. Some people will tell you 5" and others say 6". Certain companies sell springs that say they are both a 5" drop but one sits lower than the other, so be careful if you go straight for a 6" coil... do some research. I've seen a couple comparisons between CPP and ECE drop kits, but I don't remember who's springs sit lower or higher.

I changed my rear coils from a 5" coil to a 3" coil and a 2" block, just to get a more comfortable ride. The 5" coil was really rough on these Houston area roads. My back thanks me for that swap too. I have a stock frame and I intend to use the truck as a cruiser with occasional truck duties.

Regardless of what you do, enjoy the truck and good luck.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)

Last edited by knomadd; 09-09-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: page flip... see italics
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote