View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #103
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

I also picked up this ingenious piece, a harmonic balancer slip cover for the SBC! This bolts directly to the hub so no matter how far the outer ring and timing mark move on the stock balancer, this will always stay in place. $20 off ebay, which is money well spent as I don't have to rely on the stock balancer staying accurate, nor deal with timing tape. This was needed because I will need to degree and phase the rotor on the distributor when the EFI kit gets installed.

Do not ever buy one of these CVR timing pointers. It has been nothing but headaches trying to get it to work correctly. It was advertised to fit aluminum covers, but the supplied spacer makes the bolts hit the balancer, or when spacer is removed it doesn't seat against the timing cover. It especially needs more clearance away from the surface of the balancer as it sits nearly directly on it. The Proform cover fit perfectly on the stock balancer and I have no complaints there! However. due to the way the CVR pointer is positioned so closely, the cover hits it when slid onto the balancer. I set the cover up on a belt sander and knocked about 1/4" off of it as evenly as I could, which turned out working really well. Now the cover fits and clears everything perfectly! I had also verified the timing mark on the stock balancer and the marks on this cover match exactly.

And here is how it clears now

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote