View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Rod Run

Project TLOW - 1971 stepside

I figured after hanging around on this board for a while now, it was time to start a build thread for my project.

The background story on this project starts in October of 2013.

Every year I organize a multi-day/multi-state hot rod cruise (www.northeastrodrun.com) through the northeast USA. During our annual run in October of 2013, as we were driving through a covered bridge on the Vermont/New Hampshire border, I looked in my rearview mirror and said to my girl, "right now the first car I ever owned is behind us (1973 Chevelle) and the next project I want to build is behind that (1971 C10)."

The next day on my way to work, I pull out of my street and 3 houses down on the left there is a C10 sitting deep in someone's driveway, that was never there before. I see it and say to myself "that almost looks like it should be for sale". Two days later I'm on my way to work again and as I drive by it's sitting right at the front of the driveway with a FOR SALE sign in it. I make a phone call, take it for a test drive and a week later it's sitting in my driveway.

At the time I was putting an addition on my garage, so I wasn't really ready to take on a new project, but the coincendence with the truck was to much to pass up. Fast forward to June of 2014 and I got a temporary 90 day layoff from work (the call is a TLOW). This gave me the time I needed to finally button up most of the garage and by September I was finally able to start working on the truck. Before I went back to work I was able to do the teardown and started stockpiling parts.

Fast forward again to the present day and I was able to get another 30 day TLOW. I go back to work at the end of January, but during this time off I am trying to get a rolling chassis back together. I've got some progress pics to post up, but I'm going to try and post them up in order over the next couple of weeks.

To start with, here are a few of what I started with....