View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #19
aruss99

Re: Oil pressure dropping after rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
I'd compare the old pump to the new pump when it arrives. It isn't unheard of to have a relief valve stick, but it isn't very common as far as I know.

It isn't unusual to find some metal swarf on the plug after running when it has been to a machine shop

If you are going to pull the pan for a new pickup tube, I would pull a bearing cap from the rod and main and take a look. Look at an oiling schematic and pick the bearing journal the furthest from the pump.

If the new pump. oring and pickup tube don't cure the problem, and you've verified all the galley plugs are where they are supposed to be , I'd start getting suspicious about cam bearings. Did you mention that the machine shop installed new cam bearings?

Here's an interesting post from LSTech...........look at post 12

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ure-epic-pursu
Thanks for the thread, at this point I am assuming that the cam bearings were installed correctly because of the fact that I had the same symptoms as before with low oil pressure and that was with the stock cam bearings. But who knows, maybe they are in wrong, and if a new pump and pickup doesn't fix it then that's where I will look next.

I am planing on pulling the cam out anyway to check out its condition since all that is left to take out is the rockers anyways.

Glad to here that the metal shavings aren't uncommon, makes me feel a little better about potentially being able to save the motor. Two rebuilds gets expensive and I'm not exactly anxious to do it for a 3rd time.
aruss99 is offline   Reply With Quote