View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #21
C15_Sierra

Re: My 1980 Sierra LWB build

10/25 Update -

Been busy, getting wiring loomed and installed. Haven't decided on a final mounting scheme for the ECU/fuse box - anyone have any ideas.

Pulled the transmission last week, then got swamped at work and went away for the weekend...thus, I didn't get to pulling the pan and the pump until last night. Those of you who don't know...back when I installed the transmission (in Texas!) I didn't seat the torque converter all the way, which broke the pump when I bolted it to the bellhousing. Figures that I finally get to it when I don't have a resident transmission expert at my fingertips (well, he helped me diagnose it over the phone lol, but can't fix it for me). Oh well, you live and you learn. So once I get the pump rebuilt, I will change the filter and reinstall. Not a big deal when your project has slowed to a crawl like mine...

I think I finally have all the parts assembled for the fuel system (will know this afternoon whether I ordered the right fittings for the fuel filter) so I can start work on mounting the tank and getting lines run

On the exhaust front, I am more and more doubtful that I can weld up the flanges off the truck. I may just install the headers and get the exhaust welded up when it's on the truck. The Schoenfeld 88-98 LS swap headers I bought are a tight fit - the motor is tilted back right now because of transmission work and the driver side header is interfering the control arm bolt. When I test fit them a couple months ago, they seemed to fit (didn't bolt them up) so I am confident that once tilted up, I'll have enough clearance.

Found a 91 Suburban cluster 2 weeks ago, and re-pinned my instrument cluster harness to match. Got some extra switched ignition and constant 12v wires (harness was pinned for a clock) so I can wire up an extra accessory port

Here's my running checklist:

-Finish wiring - MAF sensor/connector, O2 sensors/connectors, SBC sender adapters (not required, but nice when the engine's dry)

-Install intake/MAF, mount ECU/fuse box

-Cooling system - steam vent tube, install radiator, cooling/heating lines

-Transmission - Rebuild pump, install transmission/crossmember, run cooler lines, shorten driveshaft, install shifter

-Exhaust - install headers, flanges, get a shop to weld up some 2.5" piping and install Flowmaster 40 series mufflers

-Fuel - install tank, filter, run lines

Hopefully this won't be another 60 hr week at work, and I'm not going anywhere this weekend so I will be able to knock a chunk of this out. Stay tuned!

1980 GMC C15 Sierra LWB
Dark Carmine Red/Carmine Int
Was: 250/3spd (1980-88), then a 305/TH350 (1988-2011)
Now: 5.3/4L60E, 2.73 12-bolt open rear
C15_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote