View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #285
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Another beautiful day in Southern Colorado for sure. Got some chores done outside, put up more Christmas decorations and finished out the dual battery project. I went simple in this case. I'm just running a 150 amp continuous duty solenoid and have it tied to a keyed on source to turn it on. If the key is on, batteries are joined, key off the second battery is isolated. Winch is hooked up to the second battery. This way I can winch key off and not kill the main starting battery. So on to the pics..

I had bought some 2ga welding cable off of Amazon a few weeks ago for this project. Larry loaned me his hydraulic crimper and cable cutter. I picked up some 2ga copper lugs to install on the cables at the local 'zone.

Further proof that there is a right tool for every job, Larry's hydraulic crimper works slick and locks the lugs on the ends of the cables.

A little shrink wrap on the ends to seal it off and the short cable from the 2nd battery to the solenoid is complete.

The Negative cable and main positive cables went together the same way. The negative was run to the serp bracket on the engine to an existing threaded hole. The main positive cable is secured to the core support all the way across.

Pardon the dust. Need to rinse it off. I verified the operation with my DVOM and it's switching on as planned and goes off with the key. Winch is powered up and works as it should. Ready for a snow run!!

I did check out another issue I've noticed when I drive it. I have to cycle the key at minimum 3 times before starting or it won't have fuel to start. Using Larry's fuel pressure gauge I can tell it's bleeding pressure off almost immediately after shutting the key off. Running pressure is right on spec, but it drops like a rock with the key switched off. Not sure if the fuel pressure regulator is causing this or if the check valve in the pump is stuck open. Based on another thing I noticed today the tank might have to come down eventually. The fuel gauge has never been right from the get go. Full reading comes in a 1/4 past full. I've filled almost 30 gallons before and the gauge indicated just under 1/2. Today heading out to take my battery charger off of my in-law's Caddy I noticed the fuel gauge going bonkers. Like the needle pointing past 3 o'clock on the face and wiggling up and down from there. I'm betting there's a dead spot on the resistor card. It's going to need some attention at some point.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote