View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Classic69
Love That '69

Re: Engine "Sputtering"....

Well...I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter last night...it started fine, idle was good, and took it for a drive. It seemed like the problem was fixed, driving around the country roads, I even took it up to 100 MPH on the empty highway with no issues!! So I thought it was fixed.....

But then this morning when I took my '69 out to go to work, it started acting up the same as before on the highway. It was cutting out above 60 MPH and reduced my speed down to 50 MPH, then 40 MPH, but if I tried giving it gas all I could hear was the quadrajet sucking air but it seemed like it wasnt getting ANY gas. Then on the range road, after I turned around to come back home, it stalled out on me. I got it started again without any real issues, but it kept "sputtering" all the way home any time I tried to give it gas above 40 MPH.

My only other ideas that could be causing this problem im suddenly having, but NEVER have come across before, is possibly bad gas or water in my fuel tank or maybe a vacuum hose on my carburetor cracked or came loose or my carburetor is gummed up....

I may pick up some octane booster and water remover and try pouring them both into my gas tank. Maybe pick up some carb cleaner too, spray my quadrajet inside and out. And inspect all my vacuum lines/hoses tonight. Hopefully that will fix my problem....*knock on wood*

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates

Last edited by Classic69; 05-04-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote